This R51/3 has been meticulously and accurately restored. Rare and beautiful it has the one year only front brake hub (full width brakes 7.9”), aluminum rims and correct saddle. As was the case with later ‘54s, this one has the brake light switch assembly.
The R51/3 is the second larger cc post war motorcycle that BMW was allowed to produce. It is a 500cc boxer flat twin OHV 4 stroke with plunger suspension and exposed chrome drive shaft.
The R51/3 was produced for four years. It was targeted at the sport solo market.
An excerpt from a 1951 sales brochure:
“Among experts, this two cylinder motorcycle is called ‘A work of art in metal.’ ”